Saturday, June 14, 2014

Walking again!!

I finished the Erie Canal Trail!! Tuesday I walked from Medina to Lockport. It was a really nice walk. It felt good to be on the road again. I am so glad that Noelle is doing so well and that I am able to be going again. I stopped at the Tow Path Café and I had a side of corned beef hash, it was really good, but the best part was the women working there. I had a chance to talk to them about what I was doing and they donated to my walk. They were wonderful women and I really enjoyed talking to them. I will have to stop by another time and try more of the menu. I had really just stopped in mostly for a cold drink and to use a bathroom. The women there also offered to fill my water bottles and give me ice for my water. You all need to stop there and check it out and support these wonderful women. Then I finished my walk for the day at Lake Effect ice cream. If you want to try some unusual ice cream flavors that is where you need to go. So I ended up having ice cream for dinner. I had peach bellini and also sampled honey blue cheese. The peach was perfect after a hot walk. So refreshing.

The next day I walked from Lockport to North Tonawanda and stopped at the fire hall there. It was a hot and muggy day. I ended up with blisters on the bottom of my toes. It ended up being a really tough walk for me. I had hoped to make it to Tonawanda, but just had to stop about 3 miles from my goal. A friend from work, Mari Felschow picked me up and took me out to dinner. We went to Roadhouse grill and we both had Mauhi-mauhi with a strawberry/lime butter. The food was so good, especially since I was so hungry. I did not find any place to stop for lunch along the way.

Yesterday I walked from Niawanda park in Tonawanda. It was a day of ups and downs. It was really nice to be walking there since that is where I did a lot of my training. I know the path so well. Know where the bath houses are, where there are benches, I know it all so well it felt like a long lost friend. After a while though it started pouring rain. I put on my rain poncho but still got wet. I was lucky though, there was a park right there with picnic shelters and a bath house. I waited it out for a while there, went into the bathhouse and dried off with paper towels and sat under the shelter for a while. I started to walk again and discovered a restaurant about 500 feet away. I went to the River Grill on Niagara just past Sheridan drive. I had seafood chowder that was just overflowing with shrimp and scallops and I also had a crab poboy. It was soooo good. I sat for a while since it was raining on and off. After that I finally decided to go and figured it was going to be a day that I just didn't get anywhere really fast, so I just enjoyed the walk. There were rose plants (rose of Sharon maybe?) all along the path. I stopped every few feet to smell the blossoms the perfume was so wonderful. I also spent some time following a heron or crane trying to get a better look at him. I enjoyed watching the strength and beauty with which he took off and flew.

No comments:

Post a Comment